3.1. Dice: An Aside

It’s our opinion that dice ought to clack together in your hand. This means rolling at least two at a time (no single d20 THAC0 in this game). Rolls should also have some excitement, which rules out the dry, linear nature of percentile dice.

These D6xD6 RPG rules rely on two standard 6-sided dice, with the result of one die multiplied by the result of the other. This generates a quasi-logarithmic scale from 1 to 36, as shown in the graphics below.

d6xd6 1 2 3 4 5 6
1 1 2 3 4 5 6
2 2 4 6 8 10 12
3 3 6 9 12 15 18
4 4 8 12 16 20 24
5 5 10 15 20 25 30
6 6 12 18 24 30 36

Created with the HTML Table Generator

d6d6 results

The Roman numerals show the number of ways each total can be rolled of 36 possible dice combinations. (Example: A 4 can result from a 1×4, a 4×1, or a 2×2.)

Notice that a Focus rating of 6 to 10 is perhaps optimal for characters.

  • A 6 yields a 72 percent base chance of success on a Focused ability, with the bonus of three possible effect multipliers (at 16+, 25+, and 36). It yields a 39 percent chance of success with Unfocused abilities, and 28 percent with Unfamiliar abilities. It allows a possible effect multiplier for Unfocused abilities on a roll of 1 (a roughly 3 percent chance).
  • A 7 yields a 61 percent base chance of success on a Focused ability, with the bonus of two possible effect multipliers (at 18+ and 30+). It yields a nearly 39 percent chance of success with both Unfocused and Unfamiliar abilities—as well as a possible effect multiplier for Unfocused abilities at 1 or 2 (an 8 percent chance).
  • An 8 yields the same 61 percent base chance of success on a Focused ability as a 7, again with two possible effect multipliers (at 18+ and 30+). It yields a 44 percent chance of success with Unfocused abilities, and an almost 39 percent chance with Unfamiliar ones—as well as a possible effect multiplier for Unfocused abilities at 3 or less (a 14 percent chance).
  • A 9 yields the a roughly 56 percent base chance of success on a Focused ability, with two possible effect multipliers (at 20+ and 30+). It yields a 47 percent chance of success with Unfocused abilities, and a 44 percent chance with Unfamiliar ones—as well as a possible effect multiplier for Unfocused abilities at 4 or less (a 22 percent chance).
  • The reason for 10 being a maximum Focus rating is that it is the break even point for Focused and Unfocused abilities, making a character a true jack–of–all–trades. Focused and Unfocused abilities are even at a roughly 53 percent chance of success; Unfamiliar have a 47 percent chance. A 10 also provides two possible Focused effect multipliers (at 20+ and 30+) and an effect multiplier for Unfocused abilities at 5 or less (a nearly 28 percent chance).

Here’s hoping you have found this number work of some interest.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

90 − 85 =